Sneak Preview of "The Fourth Reich: The Specter of Nazism from World War II to the Present"

As I noted in a recent post, I took something of a break from the CHR over the summer to finish up the edits for my book, The Fourth Reich: The Specter of Nazism from World War II to the Present, which will be published by Cambridge University Press.


It won't be appearing until February of 2019, but I'm happy to report that the cover design has now been finalized, complete with blurbs and, yes, even a bar code.

See the full design below (click for large format):


The Fourth Reich represents my latest and most sustained effort to incorporate counterfactual analysis into the writing of history.

I will be curious to see whether readers will accept my speculative hypothesis that postwar Germany was closer than we might like to think to succumbing to efforts by postwar Nazis to return to power.

I will also be curious to see how the book will be received in our current climate of right-wing political activism.

Now that the book is done, I look forward to posting more actively on the CHR!

Comments

Is the Fourth Reich really only a speculative hypothesis? Is its concept not based on verified documents? Why are you curious 'to see how your book will be received in our current climate of right-wing political activism' but not curious to see how your book will be received in the climate of deepening European integration into German policy dominated Europe.